Editorial comment: Most men know little or nothing much about picking out lingerie, which is understandable because it can be rather confusing. What type of lingerie to buy, what size, what color – how is a man to know all that? Here is a little guide to help you when choosing lingerie for that special someone.
Most men know nothing much about picking out lingerie, which is understandable because it can be rather confusing. What type of lingerie to buy, what size, what color – how is a man to know all that? Here is a little guide to help you when choosing lingerie for that special someone.
• There are a few things to consider before you go out. What does she like? Remember that you are not the one that is wearing this – she will be – and you should go out with the intent on getting something she will like. If she is not into lacey, tiny, see-through teddies, chances are if you buy that, she will not be in much of a mood to wear it and you may never see it being worn. So bear in mind what your lady likes.
• If you simply do not have a clue, check out her nightgown/lingerie drawer before you leave. Check for material type (cotton, silk, etc.), colors, and most importantly, size. It probably won’t do justice for you if she wears a small and you buy her a large – you may find yourself in trouble. Avoid anything that says “control” on the label. Those items are used to firm and flatten tummys and rears and she would probably not appreciate receiving them as a gift.
• Another thing to remember is if the store offers to wrap the lingerie let them. Dainty lingerie will look better gift-wrapped than if you wrap it in the paper left over from your cousin’s birthday. It’s really all about presentation when it comes to lingerie. Also, if you feel uncomfortable in the store, check out online stores that sell lingerie. You can always start checking out at most major luxury department stores like Victoria’s Secret, Macys and Nordstrom. On a final note, always remember to keep your receipt just in case it is the wrong style, size, or color.
• Now, what type of lingerie is available? Just about anything you can think of! Ask yourself what the occasion is – Is this to let her know you love her? If so, something ‘crotchless or see-through’ probably will not send her that message. But, if it is for Valentine’s Day or your anniversary, something a little more risqué might be appreciated. Bras alone have many different styles including push up, plunge, gel filled, padded, under wire, seamless, backless, strapless, open cup, and unpadded.
• If you are purchasing a bra and panty set, always check out what she has in her drawer beforehand and definitely make note of the size – of both the bra and panties. Most places sell at least one pair of panties that match each bra, but some will sell several so that you can mix and match. It will help to know what type of panties she likes to wear too – thongs, briefs, or high cut bikini.
• When it comes to sleepwear, it can be just as confusing. One type of sleepwear is babydoll pajamas. They usually have very thin straps, a plunging V neckline, and are very short with matching panties. You will find most of these made out of silk or satin, materials that always make a woman feel good about her. But, if she feels her breasts are too big or too small, or thinks her stomach is too big, you might want to avoid babydoll pajamas.
• There are slips and chemises. Similar to the babydoll pajamas, these are a little longer and a little better at concealing problem areas such as breasts, butt or stomach. They too are usually made of silk or satin.
• Gowns are full-length versions of the babydoll. Many are see-through or lacey and can help put your woman in the mood. Babydolls, slips, chemises, and gowns may also come with a robe.
• A pajama set might not sound too sexy, but if it is silky, and buttons up the front, it can make your woman feel very sexy, especially if she is a plus size (size 18 or larger). Boxer sets have become very popular lately. The tops are tight, with thin straps and usually a V neckline, although there are boxer sets with normal t-shirt tops.
If you are really looking for lingerie to spice up your love life, take a look at the well-known retailer of women’s lingerie in the United States, Frederick’s of Hollywood. They have been selling sexy lingerie for over 50 years. They have a wide variety of garter belts, bustiers, corsets, teddies (similar to the babydoll, but one piece), crotchless panties, and fishnet stockings – items that may not be available at many stores that sell lingerie.
What type of lingerie you should get your love depends a lot on her self-esteem. Many big woman love sexy little teddies, but some will shy away from them, for fear of exposing too much of themselves. Most stores sell lingerie in plus sizes, which are a little less revealing. If she is really athletic, a boxer set might be something she would like. Thin women will look good in anything, but especially teddies, corsets, and babydolls.
When shopping for lingerie, try to keep in mind what she likes. If you purchase something similar to the lingerie she already has and in colors you know she likes, it will probably make her happy. But, keep the receipt just in case!
All women are beautiful! Sexy plus size lingerie for bedtime or playtime, our great selection of plus size lingerie for women includes fashionable pieces like our flirty chemises and our sexy tank dresses. We want to make you feel beautiful inside and out, so pull up a chair and browse the best selection of plus size lingerie online.
For specific women’s fashion needs, take a look at our specialty shops, which offer athletic wear, plus and petite sizes, maternity clothing, and more. And for those searching for gifts for women who love fashion, you’ll find a wealth of sparkling watches, fine jewelry, luxe handbags, and other style-centric options that fit virtually any budget.